Salmon is a rich oily fish. Salmon is “high in protein, high omega-3 fatty acids, and high vitamin D content.” Pair salmon with quinoa, which is also a rich source of protein, dietary fiber, several B vitamins and dietary minerals, and you have a protein-packed meal that is great for diets.
Inspiration for this wonderful recipe came from my niece, Katherine (aka Kit-Kat). The beauty of this great recipe maybe prepared beforehand, is relatively simple to prepare and quite colorful.
I prefer to poach the salmon to avoid smells in the kitchen and then break off chunks depending on how many servings I need. Most diets seem to call for 4 oz of protein and once you add quinoa and some color and greens you have a salad bowl that most gourmands would relish.
You can prepare the bowls before your guests arrive and refrigerate, but do try to bring the bowl to room temperature before serving. Poached salmon will last about 3 days in the refrigerator.
I have used the following New York Times recipe for years. Once you poach the salmon, allow to cool to create several flavor-packed protein bowls. Refrigerate the salmon and you can get several meals or snacks from leftovers.
Ingredients (2 lbs makes eight 4 oz servings)
- 1 small bunch fresh dill
- Center cut for size consistency (roughly 4 oz per serving). Wild salmon is great, but farm-raised salmon is fine if you are poaching.
- 1 tablespoon of salt
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 2 tablespoons of yellow mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon of black peppercorns
- 1 onion, peeled and quartered
- Place small bunch of dill with salmon SKIN UP in a large skillet or saucepan.
- Cover with water, and add salt, sugar, mustard seeds, peppercorns and onion.
- Place over high heat and bring to a boil. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Turn off heat and let salmon cool in water for an hour.
- Remove skin.
Kit-Kat’s Poached Salmon and Quinoa Bowl
Ingredients (for eight 4 oz salmon servings)
- 2 lbs of center-cut poached salmon (see preparation above)
- 4 oz per serving of cooked quinoa (follow instructions, but drain thoroughly and allow to dry)
- 2 tablespoons of chopped red pepper
- 1 to 2 tablespoons of chopped scallions
- Several arugula leaves (optional)
- Sprig of mint
- 1 wedge of lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add warm or room temperature quinoa to bowl
- Pull apart about 4 oz of poached salmon and place on top of the quinoa
- Add pepper, scallions and mint over salmon
- Garnish wish wedge of lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
Bowls can be prepared beforehand, but cover if you plan to refrigerate. Serve at near room temperature.
The post Kit-Kat’s Protein-Packed Poached Salmon and Quinoa Bowl appeared first on .
from WordPress http://ift.tt/2sUTsoP